A coroner’s report has revealed that US popstar Aaron Carter accidentally drowned in his bathtub due to the effects of drugs he had taken. The autopsy found that the 34-year-old singer, who is the younger brother of Backstreet Boys’ Nick Carter, had ingested the sedative Alprazolam, commonly known as Xanax, and inhaled difluoroethane gas, which is often used as a propellant in air spray cleaners and can cause feelings of euphoria.

Carter was last seen alive when police visited his home on November 4 to check on him after he had been seen using an inhalant on an Instagram live video. Despite being asked to leave by Carter, the officers filed a report, which was later included in the autopsy findings. Later that day, Carter missed an appointment with a drug counsellor.

The following day, a housekeeper found Carter lying unresponsive in a Jacuzzi-style tub with the jets still running after he had failed to respond to her knock on the door. Paramedics were called to the scene, but Carter was pronounced dead.

Investigators found prescription bottles and cans of an electronic duster, which Carter had used for inhaling, in his home. The tragic circumstances of his death serve as a reminder of the dangers of substance abuse and the importance of seeking help when struggling with addiction.